One of the best things about Waynesville, NC, is its vibrant food scene. With an abundance of dining options, there is something for every discerning palate in this town.
Centered around the charming Main Street area, the restaurants in this area are unique, full of character, and serve delicious food.
This article offers a detailed guide on the top 7 restaurants in Waynesville, NC, and what you can expect to enjoy for your meals when you visit.
1. Smoky Mountain Sub Shop by Sandwich Mamas
This cozy place has a casual, relaxed atmosphere and is one of the best family restaurants in Waynesville, NC. Everything on the menu is prepared fresh daily. Come here for hearty soups, subs, sandwiches, burgers, and more.
- Steak and Cheese – 10-inch sub with half a pound seasoned and finely chopped steak served hot with your choice of cheese, toppings, and condiments.
- Italian Mama Bomb – 10-inch sub served hot or cold with Genoa salami, Capicola, turkey, bacon, and ham with your choice of bread, cheese, and condiments.
- Pastrami or Turkey Reuben – Sandwich or wrap served hot with Swiss cheese, thousand island, and sauerkraut.
“We come to Waynesville a few times a year, or try, we found this deli last year and fell in love. Though the inside is kind of smokey while all that good food cooks, the food and staff are amazing! We will come Every time we visit.
I had the steak wrap and the BF had the steak bomb! So tender and juicy. Thanks for making amazing food with a smile.”
– Carrie Coeyman
2. Bocelli’s Italian Eatery
This traditional Italian restaurant is one of the most popular dog friendly restaurants Waynesville, NC. Bocelli’s is known for serving fresh, delicious, handcrafted food like their made-to-order Italian entrées, pasta, and pizza.
- Wild Alaskan Salmon – Fresh Wild Alaskan salmon filet pan seared with fresh tomato, basil, and a lemon butter sauce. Served over fresh spinach risotto.
- Chef’s Grouper – Herb panko encrusted fresh Atlantic grouper pan seared and topped with Chef’s choice in-season fruit chutney. Served over parmesan risotto.
- Manicotti – Manicotti filled with herb seasoned ricotta cheese and covered with their signature marinara. Topped with mozzarella then baked.
“I love this place! The staff is so pleasant and efficient. The food is excellent! I had the best eggplant Parmigiano, so tasty. The pizzas and calzone are also excellent! I highly recommend Bocelli’s Italian Eatery!”
– Amy Dodson
3. Birchwood Hall Southern Kitchen
One of the best farm to table restaurants Waynesville, NC, Birchwood Hall serves handcrafted creations using only the finest locally and regionally sourced ingredients. Every dish pays homage to the down-home warmth of Southern cuisine with an eclectic, modern twist.
- Country Fried Portabella – Breaded portabella mushroom, root vegetable purée, honey braised Brussel sprouts, and goat cheese cream sauce.
- Apple Cider Brined Pork Chop – Grilled heritage pork chop, fall succotash, and Cheerwine red eye gravy.
- Grilled Black Angus Ribeye – 12oz ribeye, mashed potatoes, sautéed Brussel sprouts with house bacon jam, garlic-herb butter, and rosemary demi-glace.
“My daughter and I drove up from nearby Hendersonville for a day trip and wanted to try somewhere new and was very satisfied with the place overall. Natasha was our waitress (please be sure to tip your waitress) and was super sweet and refilled our teas( which was so good and was NOT overly sweet), efficient, knowledgeable and told us the backstory for the restaurant. My daughter ordered a turkey club and I had a chicken sandwich and the fries were awesome as well. The atmosphere was pretty mellow, we went around 2 and it really wasn’t that busy for a Saturday. They do close for an hour to allow breaks for everyone but check the times just to be sure and open back up after that. I was impressed and we will be going back next Saturday as well. This is located in downtown Waynesville on Main.”
– Tammy Ellis
4. Beach Mountain Diner
This upscale eatery is a popular go-to in Waynesville for those craving traditional comfort food or modern dishes. Located in the Hazelwood district, Beach Mountain Diner is a must-visit for their fried chicken and waffles, shrimp and crab omelets, and deli-style sandwiches.
- “Classic” Steak & Eggs – 10oz USDA prime ribeye. Two eggs, choice of home fries, grits, or fresh fruit with buttermilk pancakes.
- The Godfather (A Sandwich You Can’t Refuse) – Sliced ham, salami, pepperoni, provolone, lettuce, tomato, and onions on a grilled baguette served warm with Italian vinaigrette.
- Eggs on the Bayou – A perfectly poached egg on grilled English muffin, bacon, crabmeat, and hollandaise sauce, topped with tomatoes and green onions. served with home fries, grits, or fresh fruit.
“We have been coming to Waynesville years. This was our first time at Beach Mountain Diner and definitely won’t be our last. They had excellent gluten free options for my daughter. Everything we ate was outstanding. The biscuit and gravy actually have sausage bits and a great flavor. The Cobb Salad was great along with homemade blue cheese dressing. Pancakes were thick and fluffy.
They turn tables incredibly fast so even if there is a line you will get in quickly.
Service was excellent as well. Truly must stop for breakfast, brunch, or lunch.
Dietary restrictions: Had good Gluten free options and staff was well versed on what could fit a gluten free options. The Toast was really good.”
– Nickolas Whidden
5. Chef’s Table
Chef’s Table is one of the popular Waynesville NC restaurants for fine dining. It’s a favorite spot for couples who want to enjoy a romantic dinner in the downtown area. Many of the dishes on the menu are inspired by Californian and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Lamb Shank – Traditional 14-16oz lamb shank cooked to fork tender (osso buco style), lamb demi, potatoes, and seasonal vegetables.
- Filet Mignon – 8oz 1855 Black Angus center cut filet mignon, veal demi, potatoes, and seasonal vegetables.
- Prime Delmonico Ribeye – 12oz 1855 Black Angus ribeye, bacon sage cream sauce,
Potatoes, and seasonal vegetables.
“Chefs table is hands down my favorite restaurant! I am originally from New York but moved to NC 8 years ago and love trying new places. This place blows the other places out of the water. Their short rib blue cheese pasta dish is to die for as well as their deconstructed lasagna. My boyfriend and I literally drive hours across state just to make it here. That’s how good it is!! Ashley was able to get us in last minute as well. Please don’t ever change a thing!!! Hidden gem.”
– Briana Donohue
6. Suwana Asian Cuisine
Suwana Asian Cuisine is a favorite spot for anyone craving Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, or Thai food. This Asian fusion eatery boasts an extensive menu, with traditional and modern dishes such as spring rolls, fried rice, ramen, sushi, and noodle-based dishes.
- Duck Curry – Roasted duck in pineapple curry, bell pepper, onion, tomato, carrot, and basil leaves.
- Mussamun Lamb – Marinated lamb with Mussamun curry, potato, onion, carrot, avocado, and tomato.
- Pad Woon Sen – Stir fried glass noodles with egg, baby corn, broccoli, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and bean sprouts in light soy sauce.
“The service here is always impeccable- and the sushi chef is as good as the Thai chef. food, drinks (margaritas every time) and service make this my go to place for Thai and sushi- including Asheville. There’s another place in Waynesville that serves both cuisines- I’ve spent too much time with my Thai friends- this is the only choice. great attitudes as well.”
– S M
7. Haywood Smokehouse
Haywood Smokehouse is the home of old-school BBQ in Waynesville, serving Texas-style barbecued dishes, from traditional chopped pork and sliced brisket to smoked prime rib, all cooked with top-quality meat slow-roasted to perfection.
- Fine Swine – Chopped pork covered with provolone cheese and collard greens on a toasted hoagie roll.
- Brisket Burger – Chopped brisket topped with choice of American, pepper jack, or provolone cheese, lettuce, onion, pickle, and mayo on toast.
- Gobble Gobble – Sliced turkey breast, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo on a toasted hoagie roll.
“Haywood Smokehouse gets a 5-star rating! The brisket burger was incredibly rich and tasty, and the pulled pork was moist and bursting with flavor. The sides were equally impressive, especially the collard greens, green beans, and coleslaw—each a delicious complement to the main dishes.
Notably, Haywood Smokehouse goes beyond great food; their dog-friendly outside area makes it a perfect spot for pet owners. Enjoying a fantastic meal with a welcoming atmosphere for both humans and their furry companions adds an extra layer of appeal to this already stellar dining experience.
To top it off, the banana pudding was a wow-worthy treat. A must-try for anyone craving mouthwatering barbecue with a side of exceptional service!
Wheelchair accessibility: Nice ramp”
– Lysa Price
There you have it – the 7 best restaurants in Waynesville, NC. If you’d like to know more about these spots or get familiar with the area, feel free to reach out!
Frequently Asked Questions
The average bill at these restaurants ranges from $10 to $50.
Chef’s Table recommends making reservations to ensure that guests are accommodated at their desired dining time.
Yes, Smoky Mountain Sub Shop offers vegetarian friendly, vegan options, and gluten-free options.
Bocelli’s has an outside patio where guests, and even their furry companion, can enjoy their food al fresco.